This session will provide a comprehensive summary of trustees’ duties and responsibilities and will cover issues such as:
- What information do you need as a trustee and what are your legal responsibilities?
- The framework within which charities operate: the legal structures used by charities; the regulation of charities; the role of the Charity Commission; and the public benefit requirement
- Trustees’ duties, responsibilities and potential liabilities, and the role of the chairperson
- Responsibilities for identifying and managing risk
- Charity accounting: the accounting and reporting framework, ‘unravelling the jargon’, preparation of accounts, ensuring you receive the right financial information, and the role of trustees and audit committee
- Charity funds, investments, and banking
- Fundraising: the ground rules; the role of professionals, and corporate support
- Trading: the ground rules and the use of subsidiary companies
- Recent regulatory developments
- Governance best practice
Please note that as these events have limited capacity, they are intended only for charity trustees and relevant charity employees.