The People function is a busy team where confidentiality, a collaborative work ethic, curiosity and a proactive approach are essential. The team provides advice and support to Partners and staff throughout their entire tenure at the Firm. We deliver a full range of support together with recruitment, payroll and learning and development activities.
The team gain credibility through being proactive, responsive, creative and accurate – while this seems basic it will form the basis of success in this role.
The People team currently comprises a Director, 2 Business Partners, a Talent Acquisition Partner and 2 Team Administrators who, together, support the business in all areas listed above.
Reporting to the People Director, the successful candidate will work with the relevant Head of Department, Partners and Managers to make a meaningful contribution to development and implementation of the relevant business strategies.
On a daily basis the roles will work in the business and be focused on the demands and needs of the relevant leaders in the Department.
The incumbent will:
- Attend all leadership team meetings to ensure full and deep understanding of the business, the strategy, the demands, barriers and challenges involved
- Develop a clear understanding and knowledge of all personnel within the relevant group, providing a space for support, coaching and honest conversations on a daily basis
- Appropriately promote and represent the talent (people) agenda while listening to ‘local’ needs and ensuring policies are applied appropriately for the group
- Become an expert on all relevant qualification paths for the profession and all internal promotion paths to enable full support for employees and partners
- Create workforce plans, identifying workforce capability needs for the coming year and working with the Talent Acquisition Partner to ensure effective and timely delivery of any necessary external resource
- Create strategic talent plans (annually) to map out people needs taking account of projects and initiatives
- Create full succession plan for the group resulting in a full development plan for each relevant individual, and management of such plans on an on-going basis
Manage People Processes
- Lead the deployment of the people strategy within the group particularly in relation to talent management, leadership development, managing change, performance management and organisational design
- Lead on recruitment, attending all first interviews and sifting talent appropriately to ensure effective use of client facing time on recruitment at the decision making stage
- Lead induction and integration plans for joiners to the group including Trainees, playing an active part in organising all schedules, following up and ensuring success
- Lead all employee relations matters within the respective group
- Ensure any performance management processes activated professionally, with respect for all involved and without recourse to litigation
- Lead all remuneration, promotion and other cyclical people processes liaising with the People team to ensure documentation and implementation are actioned
- Manage leavers to ensure all data is captured, process is managed incl. payroll data, and leavers remain ambassadors for the Firm
- Effectively manage organisational change programs where required including TUPE, acquisition, integration, headcount management and liaison with the People Team
Retain a Big Picture Outlook
- Ensure that there is consistent application of processes and policies across the Firm at all times to reduce risk through effective communication with other members of People Team
- Provide insight on People issues utilising relevant MI e.g. absence / remuneration / exit data. Suggest data that could be developed and used for such purposes and work with People Ops Manager to deliver
- Ensure that organisational design/development solutions drive business transformation and change
Be part of the People Team
- Work with the People Team to ensure cyclical, business as usual Talent activities are executed to a high quality throughout the year e.g. salary review, bonus payments, appraisal processes etc
- Suggest improvements to people policies in line with knowledge or business need/appropriateness
- Always ensure effective communication channels with all team members
At all times, your ideas will be welcome as to how we can improve, be more efficient, save time, enhance compliance etc. so please listen, research and share ideas as you wish. Laws change, market practices develop and generations want different things so keeping an eye out for interesting developments is very wise and ever so useful.
You will have:
- Full CIPD qualification
- Experience of working in a Business Partner role in a professional services and proven capability of making a difference
- Proven ability to build successful relationships with key stakeholders enabling debate, discussion and challenge as appropriate
- Proven ability to support numerous colleagues concurrently and balance priorities accordingly
- Good understanding and experience of key legal requirements relating to legislation particularly with regards to discrimination and immigration regulations
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Knowledge of best practice People processes within a corporate environment
- Confidence and capacity to establish professional credibility quickly
- Ability to instil confidence at a senior level within the Firm
- An analytical mindset and appreciation, and maybe even enjoyment of, data
- Great ideas and ability to communicate them
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- PC literate with a working knowledge of Teams, Powerpoint, Excel
- Adaptable and flexible with great ideas for improvement
- Creativity, curiosity and a sense of humour!