Barinder has specialised in technical, compliance, regulatory matter and risk from audit, ethics and risk. With experience in dealing with regulators, responding to consultations, audit methodology providers, data analytics, technical issues and training, audit and accounting software providers and various other vendors to help with the balancing act of compliance and commerciality.
Prior to joining haysmacintyre in 2021, Barinder was Head of Compliance and Regulation at a top 15 firm with key responsibilities for audit, practice assurance, compliance, technical training and risk. Prior to this Barinder has worked in various technical and client-facing roles including working at a regulator and in a top 10 firm’s Tax and VAT department.
Beyond haysmacintyre, Barinder has had roles outside of audit that has helped him develop a broad cross-service experience. These include Corporation Tax, VAT, probate, AML, GDPR, practice assurance working with the CAA, tribunal experience and government consultations.
Barinder enjoys travelling, movies, cooking and experimenting with food.
Within the sector, Jon has a particular specialism in technology clients, which include both privately owned companies as well as publicly listed groups. He has experience in managing the audit process of AIM listed groups and is currently the manager on three AIM listed clients which provides him with a strong understanding of the reporting requirements for AIM listed entities.
Jon regularly works with entrepreneurial, scale-up businesses and understands the importance of regular communication, backed by strong, sector specific technical expertise.
Jon attends sector specific events and contributes to technical content and training within the sector.
Outside of work Jon enjoys most sports, including golf, squash, skiing and rugby.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Sound knowledge and experience in good governance practices, risk management methodology, programme management, and change management programmes.
Good understanding of strategic issues and risks faced by organisations, and able to lead and report on strategic and operational activities of audit issues.
Develop annual internal audit plans and ensuring successful delivery of these within budget. Internal audit plans provide assurance on Governance, Risk Management, and Internal Control areas.
Responsibilities below are generalised and are no way exhaustive:
- Responsible for conducting audit fieldwork which includes undertaking audit testing, conducting meetings with relevant client personnel
- Ensure a full briefing meeting has been held with the manager on the assignment before work commences
- Ensure the work undertaken is in accordance with the approved plan and budget
- Input audit findings into PAWS, ensure full PAWS file is completed and handed over at the end of each audit
Work Based Competencies
- Working towards or qualified internal auditor (PIIA)
- Proven relevant experience, gained in a similar auditing role
- Competent at using Microsoft applications
- Working knowledge of PAWS
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Able to influence internal / external clients and colleagues
- Has proven planning and prioritising skills
- Able to work under pressure with accuracy and focus
- Able to demonstrate problem solving skills
- Keen to add value to our clients’ businesses
- Flexible work attitude, pro-active and collaborative team player
- Ability to work well under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines
- Adaptability and ability to respond positively to change
- Ability to learn and pick things up quickly
- Familiar with and have an awareness of the laws and regulations that apply to accounting and audit and are required to ensure compliance
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good telephone manner and communication skills
- Excellent integrity and ethical standards
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To work in line with the haysmacintyre’s internal audit methodology.
- To understand the key risks identified by clients and the controls put in place to address those risks.
- To scope and plan variety internal audit assignment based on client requirements and risk assessments.
- To execute variety of audit tests / procedures and interpret outcome from testing.
- To prepare draft audit reports and working paper files to high quality standards for internal management and partner review.
- To lead on individual assignments ensuring delivery is in line with allocated budget and agreed timeline with clients.
- To seek guidance from managers and partners as required.
- Understand the financial, operational and compliance risks which impacts client operations and incorporate these into the audit work programme.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify risks, and make recommendations which are appropriate, proportionate, practical and cost-effective.
- Manage several internal audit assignments and prioritise.
- Manage a portfolio of clients and deliver internal audit plan in line with client requirements.
- Develop internal audit strategy for clients.
- Supporting the Partners and Directors in key business development activities for new work including targeting, writing proposals and presentations.
- Relevant professional experience, ideally within Internal Audit
- Part qualified PIIA / CMIIA or equivalent
- Proficient in MS Office
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience with data analytics
- Flexible to travel
- Ability to execute audits with limited support
- A pro-active ‘can do’ attitude.
Serena specialises in delivering robust audits to her clients in the Financial Services sector (predominantly hedge fund managers and corporate finance boutiques). She has extensive experience working on FCA regulated audits.
In her spare time, Serena enjoys visiting new restaurants to eat with family and friends and going to watch Spurs play football… when they actually play well.
Roles and Responsibilities
Responsibilities below are generalised and are no way exhaustive:
- Audit: statutory audit, planning, completion, attend / lead client meetings etc.
- Being a key point of contact throughout the year
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with existing clients as well as prospective clients
- Accounts preparation
- Provision of general business advice to clients
- Managing the overall service delivery to clients
- Corporate finance projects (Due diligence, AIM/Standard listings, reverse acquisitions etc)
- Other special projects
- Client billing and job recoverability
- Prospective client meetings
- Assist in supervising/managing the audit staff including having a responsibility for the coaching and development of the team members reporting directly into you taking responsibility for career development of others
- Business development activities such as building relationships with target clients and referrers in the Hospitality sector
- Assist where required in the general running of the audit department
- Reporting directly to the partner and having several direct team members report to you.
- The successful candidate will be able to multitask in terms of handling multiple clients simultaneously
- Excellent technical and personal skills to service a portfolio of clients efficiently and effectively
- Excellent communication skills and be confident, articulate and able to communicate at all levels externally and internally
- Ability to produce high quality business style reports for non-executive committees
- Presentation skills for tendering for new work
- A team player with the ability to prioritise work and work to tight deadlines
- Strong organisational skills
- Have a proven track record of establishing and maintaining strong relationships
- Ability to successfully support, nurture and motivate different team members
Work based competencies
- 3 + years Hospitality sector Experience
- Expert in producing group financial statements and consolidations
- Strong knowledge of both IFRS and UK GAAP (including FRS101/102) and international standards on auditing
- Working knowledge of Tax
- Experience of Caseware or similar accounts production software
- Experience of management of the audit from planning to supervision and onsite reviews
- Qualified accountant
Responsibilities are generalised and are in no way exhaustive and will involve working on a range of clients across a variety of sectors corporate, not for profit and pension schemes:
• Carry out audits using a bespoke risk-based audit approach;
• Act as assistant or middle person on larger clients, completing relevant sections of the audit file as discussed and agreed at the planning meeting;
• On some of our smaller clients, you will act as senior reporting directly to the manager. For these audits, the individual would be responsible for the planning of the audit file right through to the completion sections including drafting the financial statements, the management letter and the letter of representation;
• Supervise and effectively delegate work to less experienced members of the audit team as agreed by the senior;
• Communicate with the audit senior regularly on the audit and make recommendations to them on how our clients can improve their accounting systems and controls;
• Perform ‘accounts preparation’ jobs either from the client’s trial balance or from their original accounting records;
• Appraise less experienced members of the audit team following completion of the jobs worked on with them;
• An average of 10 to 12 weeks per year will be spent on ‘away jobs’.
• Flexible work attitude, pro-active team player;
• Ability to work well under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines;
• Able to learn and pick things up fast;
• Familiar with and have an awareness of the laws and regulations that apply to accounting and audit and are required to ensure compliance;
• Good interpersonal skills;
• Good telephone manner and communication skills.
Worked Based Competencies
• Studying towards the ACA or ACCA qualification;
• Proficient in using Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook;
• Experience of an electronic audit programme;
• Experience of CaseWare and Sage would be an advantage.