Are you ready to take your career to new heights? Join our elite accountancy firm, ranked among the top 25 in the UK, as a Business Support Manager. We are seeking a dynamic and experienced professional who thrives in a collaborative and empowering environment. With our strong focus on dynamism, integrity, collaboration, and empowerment, you will have the opportunity to work with a diverse client base, lead a talented team, and contribute to the success of our prestigious firm. If you’re looking for a challenging and rewarding role that offers continuous development and growth, we invite you to seize this opportunity and make a significant impact on your career.
What you will experience working with us
Exciting Client Portfolio: You will work with a diverse portfolio of clients, ranging from small businesses to multinational corporations across various industries. This will provide you with exposure to different challenges, opportunities, and the chance to develop a deep understanding of client needs.
Collaborative Team Environment: You will join a team of highly skilled professionals who are passionate about delivering exceptional client service. Our collaborative culture promotes knowledge sharing, teamwork, and a supportive atmosphere where everyone’s contributions are valued.
Flexible Working: We understand the importance of work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements to our employees. We believe that a healthy work-life integration enhances productivity and well-being. As a Business Support Manager, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a flexible work schedule that enables you to work up to three days a week from home.
Professional Development Opportunities: We are committed to investing in our employees’ growth and development. As a Business Support Manager, you will have access to ongoing training programs, mentorship opportunities, and resources to enhance your technical and leadership skills.
Career Progression: We provide a clear career path with opportunities for advancement based on performance and merit. As a manager, you will have the chance to take on increasing levels of responsibility, lead larger engagements, and contribute to strategic initiatives within the firm.
Leadership Development: As a manager, you will hone your leadership abilities by leading and mentoring a team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to guide their professional growth, provide feedback, and foster a high-performance culture.
Technical Expertise: You will stay at the forefront of industry trends, regulations, and best practices. This role will allow you to expand your technical knowledge, review complex financial statements, whilst ensuring accuracy and compliance.
Client Interaction: You will be the primary point of contact for a portfolio of clients, building strong relationships and providing expert advice. You will have the opportunity to understand client needs, identify opportunities for growth, and contribute to their success.
Vibrant Firm Culture: We foster a vibrant firm culture that values socialising and recognises the importance of team bonding. You will have the chance to participate in various firm events, including social gatherings, team-building activities, and networking opportunities. These events provide an excellent platform to connect with colleagues, share experiences, and build lasting relationships within our close-knit community.
Roles and Responsibilities
The key aspect of the role will be to work closely with Partners running a busy portfolio working with a range of clients mainly within our corporate sectors.
Responsibilities below are generalised and are no way exhaustive:
- To manage a portfolio of clients and overall service delivery to some clients
- To act as the main point of contact for the more significant/ complex clients in the department
- To effectively delegate tasks to trainee team members
- To plan, control, supervise and review the work undertaken by more junior team members
- To report directly to partners, directors and senior managers as required and act in a support role for Partners
- To assist with the transition from monthly/quarterly processing to daily/weekly processing so that we can deliver live information to our clients
- To train staff including, on accounting, VAT, preparation of management accounts and statutory accounts
- To act on a consultancy basis on clients other than those in your own portfolio where clients need bespoke set up/reporting and training to use the software services
- To deliver high quality statutory accounts prepared in accordance with relevant Standards, including all necessary disclosures
- Provision of general business advice to clients
- Assisting with the implementation of new systems and processes around working practices, compliance, and risk management
- Attendance at client and prospective client meetings
- Assist with the preparation of fee proposals for potential clients
- Assist where required in the general running of the Business Support department. This includes for example:
- Monitoring the allocation of resource on Dayshape
- Monitoring the delivery of services across the department to meet deadlines
- Assisting with the monthly billing process to achieve targets/budget
- Client billing and job recoverability
Qualifications: A degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. Professional certification (e.g., ACA, ACCA) is desired. We will consider candidates qualified by experience.
Experience: Considerable experience in an accountancy firm, preferably in a business services/ outsourcing role, with a proven track record of managing client engagements and leading teams.
Work based competencies
Strong Technical Skills: Excellent knowledge of UK accounting standards and financial reporting requirements, a working knowledge of Tax and VAT. Ability to provide guidance on complex accounting and reporting matters.
Leadership Abilities: Proven leadership capabilities with experience in team management, mentorship, and performance evaluation. Strong communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills.
Business Acumen: Demonstrated business acumen with the ability to identify opportunities, contribute to business development efforts, and drive growth.
Organisational Skills: Exceptional organisational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Communication Skills: Effective communication is crucial in our client-centric environment. You must possess exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal. You will be required to clearly articulate complex financial information, provide concise recommendations, and effectively communicate with clients, team members, and stakeholders at all levels.
Interpersonal skills: Ability to actively listen, and the ability to convey information in a clear and concise manner are essential for success in this role. We value effective communication as a key component of building strong client relationships and fostering collaboration within our team.
Software skills: Working knowledge of Xero and Caseware is advantageous. You will have a strong proficiency when using Excel.