This role takes responsibility for the administration and development of financial systems of the firm, most significantly Practice Engine (our practice management and client database), Xero (our finance system) and Power BI (our reporting system).
You will have strong technical knowledge of database administration, including basic SQL queries and reporting, and be able to work with the Finance team to deliver accurate, useful and timely management information to the firm.
This is an exciting time to join the firm as we work on our new strategy for growth.
Systems Administration and Development (Practice Engine, Xero, Power BI)
- Leading on the administration and systems performance and development for Practice Engine, Xero and Power BI including updating roles and security, maintenance of system users, document templates, finance codes, ledger set ups, reporting and dashboards.
- Working with the business to understand reporting requirements and to design, develop and improve financial reports and dashboards, supporting self-service reporting where appropriate.
- Use of SQL queries and a thorough understanding of reporting through Power BI to support the understanding of data and financial and client reporting in the firm.
- Maintaining control of time recording and billing by fee earners and trouble shooting issues as they arise.
- Review the current use of technology and integration of finance systems to help streamline and reduce manual intervention.
- Reviewing systems performance and identifying and resolving system issues.
- Working with the IT department on system upgrades and systems development.
- Working with the Finance team to deliver a prompt monthly and year end closedown and reconciliation process for finance systems, to the agreed timetable.
- Resolving all IT servicedesk queries relating to all of our financial systems in a timely manner and liaising with the internal IT section and suppliers as required.
- Providing expert technical support to the Finance team to plan and manage major financial processes, including budgeting, forecasting and monthly reporting, providing input and advice in relation to the use of Practice Engine data.
- Providing additional and ad hoc financial support and analysis, as required.
Training and support
- To be proactive in supporting and encouraging users at all levels in the firm to achieve the most useful output from financial systems.
- Training and supporting financial and non-financial staff in the use of Practice Engine, Power BI and other financial systems and procedures.
- Production and regular updating of system user guides.
The Systems Accountant will also:
- Live our firm values in their behaviour and work
- Understand excellent client service and work with the Finance Team to challenge ‘the way it has always been done’ and be ambitious to achieve high standards of delivery
- Enjoying working creatively to solve problems and deliver results
- Act with diplomacy to build relationships and achieve the best results
- Facilitate good working relationships and be able to offer effective support at Partner level
- Enjoy working in a team and be able to successfully support others in meeting team goals
- Have strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise key work and meet deadlines
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience of managing, operating and improving financial systems and working with third party providers to ensure the system is working to its optimum capacity
- Advanced IT skills, including SQL and Excel
- Experience of effective presentation of financial information to finance and non-finance staff
- An understanding of financial controls and reflecting these through workflows and controls on financial systems
- Strong analytical, numeric and critical reasoning skills capable of delivering practical solutions to complex problems
- Experience of training and supporting staff with the use of a financial management system
- Experience of working in a partnership or professional services environment