haysmacintyre is an award winning firm of chartered accountants and tax advisors, with 39 partners and over 500 staff, providing advice to entrepreneurs, fast-growing and owner-managed businesses, charities and not for profit organisations across the UK and internationally.
The Not For Profit department continues to grow from strength to strength and we are looking for a capable and passionate senior to deliver high quality and value for money audits to the sector. With environmental, social and governance challenges at the forefront of many conversations, now is the perfect time to make a difference.
With 8 partners, 2 directors, a mix of young and experienced managers, along with the necessary administrative support, we’re one of the leading single office charity teams in the UK however remaining very true to our values. We work with a range of sectors from membership and sporting governing bodies to medical research charities and independent schools.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The role will entail running and assisting on audits, in compliance with the firm’s and statutory procedures, for a variety of clients across all the charity and not for profit sectors and sizes. You will have had experience of leading audits from the planning stage right through to the completion stage including supervision of staff within your audit team.
You will be familiar with and have an awareness of the laws and regulations that apply to accounting and audit and are required to ensure compliance. You will be in the process of studying for the ACA or ACCA or equivalent. This role will be client facing, where you will need to show willingness to work as part of a team and be able to meet deadlines.
As an Audit Senior, you will be required to travel to client’s premise where necessary and work around client working hours as necessary.
Responsibilities below are generalised and are no way exhaustive:
- Carry out and provide high quality audit services using our bespoke risk-based audit approach
- Act as the senior on audits reporting directly to manager.
- The individual will be responsible for the planning of the audit file right through to the completion sections including drafting the financial statements, the management letter and the letter of representation
- Responsible for managing a team of up to five staff. You will supervise, brief and effectively delegate work to less experienced members of the audit team
- Communicate with the audit manager regularly on the audit and make recommendations to them on how our clients can improve their accounting systems and controls
- Appraise other members of the team following completion of the jobs worked on
- Keep up to date with auditing and accounting standards and developments within the profession. Take responsibility for acquiring documenting the requisite CPD
- Provide technical support to the charity and not for profit team and clients, through discussions with the partner and manager
Work Based Competencies
- ACA or ACCA part qualified
- Proficient in using Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Experience of an electronic audit programme
- Experience in running an audit from planning through to completion
- Demonstrates a desire to work with not for profit organisations
- Flexible work attitude, pro-active and collaborative team player
- Able to delegate appropriately and review juniors work
- Ability to work well under pressure and adhere to tight deadlines
- Adaptability and ability to respond positively to change
- Ability to learn and pick things up quickly
- Familiar with and have an awareness of the laws and regulations that apply to accounting and audit and are required to ensure compliance
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good telephone manner and communication skills
- Excellent integrity and ethical standards