Not for Profit
We provide high quality compliance, taxation and advisory services to over 700 UK and international charities and not for profit organisations. Our clients include academies, independent schools, dioceses, religious orders, livery companies, hospices and care charities, arts and culture charities, sports governing bodies and membership organisations.
Our specialist focus on the not for profit sector means you will benefit from advisers who are experts in your area and understand the specific challenges you face. However, we also have a great deal of business expertise, which will help you to maximise your impact, improve your value and plan effectively for the future.
What you can expect from us
Our personal, dedicated service is built around your needs and we work closely with you to achieve the best results. We not only make sure you comply with charity laws and regulations, we can also help you reduce your costs, identify and manage risk, find new sources of funding and be better equipped to achieve your aims.
Leading the way
We’re proud to have been voted in the top five firms for the last eleven years for 'charity expertise' in the Charity Finance Audit Survey.
We are active members of the CFG (Charity Finance Group), ISBA (Independent Schools’ Bursars Association), and AGBIS (Association of Governing Bodies of Independent Schools), and a partner and supporter of CIAN (Charities Internal Audit Network) and ACEVO (Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations). Our team regularly speaks at conferences, run events and training seminars and compile thought leadership pieces and benchmarking reports, and we are sponsors of the National Council of Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) 2019 Hinton Lecture. We are also listed as one of the leading advisers to the Top 3,000 charities in the UK.
You can combine any of our services to suit your needs. Our rates are clear and competitive and agreed with you in advance so you won’t have any unexpected costs.
- Audit and assurance
- Tax compliance and advisory
- VAT compliance and advisory
- Due diligence
- Governance and risk
- Governance and trustee training
- Investment support and treasury management
- Internal audit and internal controls reviews
- Fundraising support
- Employment tax
We can also help with Making Tax Digital (MTD). Visit our dedicated MTD website page by clicking here.
Bespoke financial planning
Any plan to provide you with comprehensive advice on your organisation’s finances requires the skills of several different professionals. We work closely with a few firms but recognise the need to have an almost symbiotic relationship with a specialist charity consulting firm, Epoch Consulting*.
How can Epoch Consulting help?
Epoch Consulting’s service is aimed at organisations seeking an independent review of their internal investment strategy or indeed, those looking to create one for the first time. In addition to this, they provide ongoing monitoring and guidance for many not-for-profit organisations.
Improving governance and ensuring there is group understanding and accountability for the chosen path, Epoch Consulting will work with you interactively to produce documentation that has clear, prioritised, realistic and measurable objectives.
Epoch Consulting’s service allows trustees and decision makers to (re)gain clarity and take ownership with respect to the direction their investments are headed, as well as galvanising your relationship with your Investment Managers, should this be needed.
Their process centres around taking clients through a simple, four stage process. Some clients engage with them for just one element of this. However, they tend to find the most effective results are when they undertake all four stages.
- Policy Documents – Before reviewing an existing document or formulating one for the first time, Epoch Consulting will hold an interactive workshop with trustees and decision makers to establish collective goals, priorities and objectives. The output of this will be Epoch Consulting producing revised policy documents for the organisation.
- Analysis – Once trustees agree on the investment purpose, the existing policy (if it exists) and any assets are reviewed in this light. Once this has been done, they will be able to consult with you as to whether your existing strategy needs tweaking and whether they would propose any changes.
- Implementation – This part ensures that the optimum investment solution is implemented (if needed), whether that’s a revised mandate with the incumbent manager or with a new strategy. Epoch Consulting’s involvement can be as light touch or as involved as trustees want. Some clients outsource manager selection to Epoch Consulting, whilst others ask them to co-ordinate and run a formal tender process.
- Reporting – Having demonstrated sound governance by reviewing your existing policy, Epoch Consulting can provide your organisation with a clear methodology to measure the ongoing performance of the investment solution. Again, Epoch Consulting can take a lead role in this, or can take no role at all; it’s what works best for your organisation.
Epoch Consulting undertake whole of market research when finding the most appropriate investment solutions for clients. They use a proprietary, inhouse scoring matrix that identifies and monitors a wide range of investment managers. This is a valuable and effective method to help clients find peace of mind that their investment strategy is as effective and efficient as possible.
They also utilise Financial Express, third party research and their own internal investment research and experience, which allows them to analyse a wide range of sectors and investment vehicles to identify the most appropriate investment funds.
Specifically, Epoch Consulting also monitors Discretionary Fund Managers through ARC (Asset Risk Consultants – a data provider of performance within the industry) and through their internal dashboard (which is designed on a bespoke basis for Charity clients) which looks at key metrics such as performance, risk management, corporate culture and financial strength.
Epoch Consulting is entirely independent of any manager and is not restricted to using any particular provider. Using their expertise and extensive knowledge of the market, they can recommend a bespoke solution (and service) to their clients that is most appropriate for their needs.
For more information, speak to your usual contact at haysmacintyre.
* Epoch Consulting is a division of Brewin Dolphin Limited. Brewin Dolphin Limited is a member of the London Stock Exchange. Brewin Dolphin Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Register reference number 124444) and regulated in Jersey by the Jersey Financial Services Commission. Registered Office; 12 Smithfield Street, London, EC1A 9BD. Registered in England and Wales – company number: 2135876. VAT number GB 690 8994 69. Brewin Dolphin Limited GIIN: 6J5L79.00000.LE.826.